Monday, March 28, 2011

EDM613 Wk1, post 1: Reading - Copyright Issues

Photo by Jason Peglow (2011)
After viewing all the videos for this week's copyright issues assignment, I am still very confused by all the aspects of copyright even in the black and white areas. I can see both sides of the issue and find my self getting angry and sympathetic about copyright. At one point people enforcing copyright are money-grubbing tyrants, but then I quickly chastise myself thinking it was their creation so they deserve some credit and if not it really is stealing. I even tried to understand Bush's 2002 TEACH law to see how it protected teachers and couldn't really decipher that one either.

Also, as simplistic as Creative Commons makes it to share and use each others' works, I find it is still hard to navigate around the site to find what the actual requirements are to use something. For this reason I find myself shying away from even trying to use anything that is not created by me. I try to take my own photos, mix my own music with loop software, and refuse to post anything suspect.

There were a lot of videos in this lesson that I enjoyed, but Larry Lessing's TED video really stood out for me. His comment about the growing extremism about copyright - with the youth (the copyright abolitionists) on one side and the law (stringent auto-takedowns) on the other - was the depiction of every generational conflict. The youth revolt against the machine so that they can build a bigger and better machine that will be revolted against by the generation after theirs. It is the nature of youth to fight "the man." Youth revolts are how societies change stagnant old culture. I just hope this revolt is more peaceful than some others in our history.

As this copyright war rages on, I think I will go back and see if I can scrounge up some of those old cassette tapes I made when I was a kid where I pirated music off the radio and then strap on my eye patch from my Halloween costume last year ... Arrgh! Hoist the Jolly Roger me matey!

3 comments:

  1. @ Jason,
    I found myself in a similar situation, Jason. I had mixed feelings throughout my entire viewing and reading sessions. I felt annoyed and saddened by the affect that copyright has on the presentation of history. However, I felt that the creators have rights as well. After watching the videos on Creative Commons I realized that I like that idea the best. I think having a say in how you want others to use or change something you created is a win-win for all. The creator is protected from anyone stealing their idea and profiting from it, yet is willing to share his or her idea to inspire creativity in others.

    I do agree with you on the difficulties faced using Creative Commons. After viewing the videos I feel a little more educated and hope to use it with a more aware mindset.

    Your comments on Larry Lessing's TED video were excellent! You are so right on with the rage against the machine issue. It does seem there is always something to fight for or against! Youth revolts are how societies change stagnant old culture.This was a great sentence. You really are very insightful.

    I also appreciated your humor at the end of your blog. I know some take this very seriously, as they should, but I think we may need to relax a bit and really look at a person's intentions. Not everyone who uses a song or a piece of someone's work is doing so with the intent to steal. They may just be inspired to create something meaningful to share with others, and isn't that really the point anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, I feel that we share similar views on Copyright. Throughout much of our Full Sail EMDT Program, I too have taken many of my own photos and used music that I have created. I'm just not up to wrongfully using another person's work and having to defend my innocent intentions. Again, I'm a supporter of Creative Commons for the promotion of shared art. It all depends on the creators intention as well. Some would like to reap the benefit of monetary gain and notoriety, which is fine. However, some creators create for the purpose of sharing it to see how others can manipulate their creation. For now, I'll use Creative Commons and create my own ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comments and observations. I found the Wikipedia article on the TEACH law here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEACH_Act

    Basically it was supposed to make it easier for educators to use copyrighted materials in online institutions, rights that had previously been granted to face-to-face institutions. Briefly reading the description what it seems to require is that institutions have a written up policy on the use of copyrighted materials (that follows the copyright laws). This means that teacher need to follow their institutions policies on copyright, so the institution is covered by not the individual teacher, per se. So the TEACH law was meant to extend similar Fair Use opportunities to online institutions. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete