Wednesday, April 6, 2011

EDM613 Wk2, post 1: Reading - Art of Possibility chp 1-4

Caesar's Palace - Photo by Jason Peglow
I really do love books like this although I always have such a hard time applying any of it to my actual life practice. For example, in the chapter on giving an A to others and to your self, all I could think about here was how could I give an A to my students? Every time the idea came into my mind while reading this chapter I thought of so many reasons why it wouldn't work, or the negatives that could result. It is funny how quick one's mind admonishes the self into thinking something new or risky is impossible. But, I have made it my goal that all summer long I am going to try to make this happen in my classes for next year. I mean...who am I to tell a student they are only a C? I will simply do my best to chip away at the marble to reveal the statue. My classes are enjoyable and the kids always seem to show growth in their writing while they are with me, but I always come away at the end of the year feeling like I wasted so much time doing things that were unnecessary or irrelevant for them. I am hoping I can find a way to change that for next year. I guess I am chipping way at my own block of marble as well. 

5 comments:

  1. Great observations and sentiment. One slight problem, and this is something that I think the book editor(s) did that's confusing with the "Giving an A" chapter title. For the most part no one is "giving" anyone anything. The real genius is that by having the students write out why they got an A before hand the teacher has made the students commit to a path that they themselves have acknowledge. I usually add that these are perfectionistic adults. So elementary teachers have to adjust the practice for their needs, such as having the students write out why they earned an A for that week. Or for the littlest ones, why they earned an A for that day (probably oral say why at the beginning of the day). So, you see it's doable, and you are giving them credit before hand, but the real A comes from their own mind and efforts to match their plan. :-) Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,
    I understand your viewpoint on books of this nature, and I think that you need to grade for success. I'm sure you noticed that a few of the FS teachers have 'easy A' assignments, and I think they worked really well for me. Various parts of the class were graded with a specific rubric, but assignments that were 'no-fail' can get the students to open up without fear of failing.

    You can't just give an A, but you can open up some specific assignments to fail/no fail and I think you will see the students open up and even surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,
    I agree with you, the reading has lots of ideas we can put into practice. And that is the problem! To go for it! But as I shared in my blog, I think that you can start with something simple in your weekly routine of your classes. I do not think you have to wait until next year. I encourage you to try now while we are reading the book. As B. Zander says, “we might invent something that brighten our life and the lives of the people around us.” With my little try I could see the shinning eyes! It was worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason- I believe the heart of the problem is the current grading system we use. The Vander's mention this being hardwired into our brains. At my school we want to move to a standards based grading system. Students will be given "grades" such as Advanced, Proficient, Achieving, etc. Our administrators think that this will help provide a more accurate assessment (along with the assigned rubric). This system may provide more information, but you still have the problem of students who know they are not Advanced or "A"s. The key then is to get your students to commit to the possibility of being Advanced (Ben Vander had his students visualize this through the writing).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it comes down to positive thinking which may translate into positive outcome. It sets a standard or attainable goal. Now whether or not it is achieved is up to the individual. And I think falling short of a goal is okay. Missing the mark completely isn't acceptable. So let's give ourselves an A and others.

    ReplyDelete