Thursday, April 21, 2011

EDM613 Wk4, post 4: Free Write - And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None...

Photo by Jason Peglow
 Well... after this post I will officially be able to click on my final "I have completed this assignment" tab for the month 11 - Media Asset Creation class of our Full Sail University master's degree program. I must say that I am starting to feel a bit melancholy about this whole experience being nearly over. Having completed three masters degrees (counting this one) I know I am always so relieved immediately following graduation and ecstatic that I will have all this free time to catch up on my neglected household chores. But, soon after I begin going through withdrawal and I find I am looking through degree programs and course books to get my next fix. I think the yearning comes from my worry that I may end up old and outdated and ineffective in my profession and wind up like all these closed minded, closed doors crabs that speckle the hallways of my school. I never want to lose the passion for this job and always worry about the "burnout" syndrome everyone warns me about when I get here so early and/or leave so late. But, I love my chosen profession and plan to keep my spark alive for as long as I can.

I want to thank everyone that I have had the pleasure of meeting during my time at Full Sail. You are all inspiring teachers and you are all the reasons why we have hope for the future of quality and effective education. Good luck in month 12 and beyond!  

3 comments:

  1. Jason,

    I understand your desire to be in the know. I also understand the image of those with whom we must share our staff lounges! And when this is all done, I too will be addressing many household chores oft neglected as of recent. But I am looking forward to a little break to play and relax and read a book for pleasure. My scariest thought is what will I do if I don’t teach? I think I have enough seniority to not get laid off at work, but you never know. How can I use all that I have learned over this past year in a telemarketing gig? Well, that may be a little exaggerated- I am probably too qualified to get that job! I guess the thing is that if are born an blessed to teach, what happens if we can’t? What if my “none” isn’t just grad school, but my school district job?

    On a happier note, you have been a true pleasure to work with and I have gained many insights being on your teams. I wish you the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--it was like you were reading my mind! I too enjoy learning new things, going to school and working with students. I make a joke about how soon I will go back to school. When I am in school and stressed out with deadlines, papers and projects I tell my self I will be SO glad once everything is done. Then once I am done and the memories of the experience have dulled, I start thinking about starting again. You would think I would remember the feeling of pressure but no--it doesn't stick--and I am glad because, like Billy Madison, I think "Learning is cool! Horray for school!" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onward and upward, my friend. Great job, indeed.

    ReplyDelete